Education in Tanzania is a cross-cutting issue, and realizing this through the Education Policy, the government has provided guidelines and strategies on how to facilitate access to good and equal education for the community in order to achieve the goal.
Despite the fact that the government has provided strategies and guidelines for education, there have been challenges in some areas notably in pastoral communities whereby girl students drop out of school or miss the secondary education. Due to this challenge and others, The KINNAPA Organization with the funding from MALALA FUND has come up with the Project EDUCATION CHAMPION NETWORK which aimed to reduce or eliminate educational challenges, particularly for girls in Kiteto, Simanjiro, and Babati Districts hence the slogan NIPE NAFASI is used to inspire the community to support efforts to make it possible for girls to get education and to bring enthusiasm to a girl child to pursue Education.
CHALLENGES IN EDUCATION
While you are on journey of Education, there are a number of challenges that come into play which create hurdles in your path. The biggest challenges in today’s education system are listed below
- Students absenteeism in schools
- Girls dropping out of school due to pregnancy, early and forced marriage
- Distance from home to schools
- Poor Living Conditions(Financial Constraints) which led Parent unable to afford education expenses
- Shortage of Education Resources and infrastructure such as dormitories, classrooms, learning materials, desks, food, Clean and safe water etc
AREAS OF IMPLEMENTATION
The project is implemented in Kiteto, Simanjiro and Babati District Councils.
Teachers, Students, Parents, Education Officers, Leaders (School Committee, Councilors, Government Leaders, Religion and Traditional).
- Direct Beneficiaries: 5000 Girl Children
- Indirect Beneficiaries: 9000 People from the Community
The Main Objective of this Project is to assist in improving access to quality Secondary education for girls especially in the Marginal communities of Manyara Region.
- To increase the enrollment of Girls in secondary schools.
- To reduce the number of girls who drop out of Secondary Education.
- Re-enrollment of girls who dropped out of Secondary Education or providing them with alternative education (vocational skills e.t.c)
- Conduct meetings with community on oppressive traditions and customs that prevent girl children from pursuing education
- Forming student discussion groups in secondary schools (clubs)
- Assisting students from marginal households with various school needs
- avoiding sexual assaults against girl student
- Conduct sessions and discussions with the community about Tanzania’s education policy.
- Conduct capacity building sessions to school management committees.
- Organizing sensitization meeting to traditional and religious leaders on the importance of education.
- Monitoring the admission of girls in secondary schools.
- involvement of religious and traditional institutions, Religious and traditional leaders will help in conveying the message to the people they serve, which will make it easier to implement project activities.
- The correct use of statistics to improve services and support the plans of the Council and the Government in general.
- Coordination of all activities in collaboration with the government and other stakeholders, such as civil society. Every activity that will be carried out will be organized together with the education offices at the district and regional levels as well as the community development offices. KINNAPA will also involve other stakeholders who do such activities in the respective district.
- All activities and services will comply with government policies, laws, and procedures. There will be no violations of any kind, and all activities will be carried out as the education policy directs, based on the goals of the region and the districts where the project will be implemented.
PHOTO WITH MANYARA REGIONAL COMMISSIONAL
COOPERATION AREAS WITH THE GOVERNMENT
- Preparation of project plans and activities
- Collaborative management of project activities
- Issuance and presentation of project activity information
PHOTO OF KITETO DISTRICT COMMISSIONAL
PHOTO WITH SIMANJIRO DISTRICT ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY
- The value of education for girls to increase in society.
- Reduction of oppressive traditions that prevent girls from getting an education.
- Increasing enrollment of female children in schools.
- Decrease in female children dropping out of secondary schools.
- To increase knowledge, skills and positive attitudes to girls and thus help them choose the life they deserve.
- Increasing provision of services for gender equality in schools.
- Economic empowerment for female children who interrupted studies and failed to return to school.